The history of Public Relations development in Indonesia conceptually happened in 1950s. Its development in Indonesia follows the politics and statehood condition at that time. The PR expert agrees that PR authentically applied in Indonesia on 17th of August 1945.
Following the flow of time, government realized the need of people knowing the development regarding the recognition of Indonesia’s sovereignty by The Dutch Colony. At that time, Indonesia just move its capital from Yogyakarta to Jakarta and the structural-functional reform of each element is on its way. Started from that assessment, PR activities began to institutionalize by using the term Hubungan Masyarakat (humas) because of the nature of the activity itself is more outwards.
In 1952, foreign company in Indonesia, Stanvac Indonesia (owned by Netherland-America) used PR to approach Indonesian government. Furthermore on 1954 Garuda Indonesia Airways started to develop its own PR unit. Mabes Polri (Indonesian National Police) and various institutions follow suit since 1955. Pertamina is the first private company in Indonesia to have its own PR. In the 60s, the term ‘purel’ as the acronym of PR is more popularly used than ‘humas’. In 1962, presidium of PM Juanda Cabinet instructed each institution to have its own PR Unit; this year is the beginning of PR development in Indonesia.
With each company and institution realizing the functionality of PR to achieve their goal and as part of management strategy, the PR companies in Indonesia flourish, providing PR consultation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation on PR activities.
On 10th of April 1987, with the background to protect the Indonesian PR company to be able to serve as host on its own country, few PR figures who own their respective PR company; Inke Maris, Maria Wongsonagoro, Miranty Abidin, Edowati Sudjono, Srikandi Hakim, Sayono, Ida Sudoyo agreed to establish Indonesian PR Association (APPRI).
On 2015, APPRI’s management re-lay the rationale of the founders and adapt it to the current situation and industry. Moreover in facing the ASEAN Economic Community (AEC).
To protect and encouraging progress and expertise of the member to be the host in their own country and compete in international level, APPRI would co-operate with every stakeholders in PR industry in Indonesia such as government, media, an other PR institution in Indonesia and other country.
Statute of APPRI
NAME, TIME AND DOMICILE
This nonprofit organization named “Assosiasi Perusahaan Public Relations Indonesia (APPRI)” founded in 10th of April 1987 by a few national public relations company. APPRI is located in Jakarta, with representative in other region of Indonesia, which will be determined later by the Board with Approval Governing Body Meeting
APPRI’s principle is based on Pancasila and UUD 1945.
To become the trusted and influential parent organization of public relations company so as to improve the competitiveness of its member, either in Indonesia or international.
- Become the reference for the development of PR Industry in Indonesia.
- Create a competitive, appreciative and supportive condition based on knowledge and uphold the code of ethics of every member.
- Help member to be a robust and reliable PR Company that able to compete fairly and professionally in Indonesia or in international scene.
- Encourage every member to contribute to the society, environment and the business world in Indonesia sustainably.
PURPOSE AND OBJECTIVES
Purpose and objectives of APPRI:
- Utilizing the public relations company potential to actively and creatively participating in community building, based on Pancasila and UUD 1945.
- Sought to it that the practice of public relations in Indonesia does not deviate from the Code of Ethic and Code of Conduct.
- Develop and increase the role of APPRI through share of information, expertise and cooperation among members, provide expert support to the government, social institution and association, trade industries and other field along with the public.
- Provide reference as professional public relations to the members.
- Building a healthy business competition.
- Providing the information service to the public regarding public relations and information regarding the qualification and experience of APPRI member.
- Contribute by pursuing to increase the public confidence in public relations service.
APPRI hold various activities, both internally and externally:
- Formulate and decide program that will further enhance member’s professionalism.
- Observe and analyze the development of the business world generally in real public relations activity, providing consultation service and promotion of member’s business.
- Coordinates with related organizations, such as government and private sector, with the aim to broaden and protects the member’s business activity.
- APPRI membership is open for public relations company in Indonesia based on rules applied in Indonesia and is a public relations company located in Indonesia.
- The procedure to become a member is set in bylaws.
- Obligations and rights of member are set in bylaws.
- Sanction for members is set in bylaws.
Provisions on the Board are set in bylaws and comprise of:
- Central Board.
- Branch Executive.
- Honorary Council of APPRI.
Meetings held by APPRI are set in bylaws, comprise of:
- National Congress.
- Regional Conference.
- National Labor Council.
- Authorized capital
- Entrance fee
- Monthly fee, determined according to circumstances
- Non-binding donations
- Organization’s wealth managed and accounted for by professional and open for members.
CHANGES AND DISSOLUTION
- The decision to change and add bylaws or dissolution only valid if approve by at least 2/3 of the member of the Board.
- The decision to disband was taken if according to Governing Body Meeting, it no longer serves the purpose and objective of APPRI.
- If APPRI dissolved, then in accordance with Article 1666 Civil Law, the Governing Body is required to arrange and settle all obligations under the Governing Body Meeting’s supervision and leftovers will be donated to charity.
Anything that is not or has not been set in the statute, will be set in the Bylaw as well as in other regulations, and decided in the Governing Body Meeting. This Statute shall prevail since the date it is signed.